- Health Department
- Health Department Services
- Hazardous Materials
The purpose of this regulation is to protect, preserve, and maintain the environment and the public health in the City as well as its water reserves from contamination and exposure to hazardous materials. This regulation is based and related to those regulations set forth by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and/or other local, state, and federal regulations and Department of Transportation standards.
All businesses in the City of Taunton that use, generate, or store hazardous materials need to be permitted by the Board of Health.
To begin the process, businesses need to first fill out a plan review form (PDF) and submit a check with the appropriate fee based on the hazardous materials used, generated, or stored on the property.
- There is a one time only plan review fee of $50.
- $50 per CLASS for establishments under 3,000 square feet
- $100 per CLASS for establishments 3,000 square feet and over
- Calculation for establishments under 3,000 square feet
- (Number of classes) multiplied by $50 = Total
- Calculation for establishments 3,000 square feet and over:
- (Number of classes) multiplied by $100 = Total
Note: If you are going though this process for the first time, you must include an additional $50 for the plan review. The number of hazardous materials within each individual class is not a factor when calculating the permitting fee. We only accept checks or money orders. Please make sure that they are made payable to the City of Taunton.
Emergency Phone List for the City of Taunton
In the event of an emergency with hazardous materials, please utilize the following numbers:
- Fire Department: 508-824-4022
- DEP Office of Incident Response: 508-946-2850
- DEP South East Regional Office: 508-946-2700
- CHEMTREC: 800-424-9300
- CHEMTEL: 800-255-3924
- National Response Centers: 800-424-8802
- Board of Health: 508-821-1400
- Morton Hospital: 508-828-7000
Register a Complaint
To register a complaint, please call 508-821-1400 so that your issue can be addressed in a timely manner.